Music Banter - View Single Post - Basic Soul Completion Playlist
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Since I was in high school, I'd periodically make playlists entitled Infinite Songs, inspired by my reading of The Perks Of Being A Wallflower in my youth. One thing that always stuck with me was Charlie's mentioning of "infinite" songs, and I always made mixes which I believe resulted in that same sort of feeling. I made one a few days ago, actually, and I feel that my "infinite" songs are definitely "soul completion" songs.

1.) Dave Matthews Band - Everyday

All through high school, I really didn't like Dave Matthews Band. I did, however, like this one song. Lately, I've been using the album to actually give DMB a second chance. This song really is lovely - there's something about the chorus which makes chills run up and down my arms. Also, the transition into the bridge is, to me, quite beautiful and really pulls at something inside. Instrumentally, it's not the absolute most brilliant, but it is quite effective.

2.) Esben and the Witch - Marching Song

I was almost taken aback at how strong an emotional response this song elicited from me. It's dark, but I can't help but hang on every word, feel every drumbeat. It's gotten a lot of plays from me in the past few days. Wonderful, wonderful song - and something I definitely connect with.

3.) The Mountain Goats - No Children

One of the most soul-wrenchingly painful songs for me to listen to, but it seems like I can't stop myself from turning to it at least once a day. Minimal, easy instrumentals, and lyrics that really ache. Damn near perfect.

4.) Jeremy Messersmith - A Girl, A Boy, And A Graveyard

A friend recommended I listen to Jeremy Messersmith a few months ago. This song immediately stood out to me as being almost perfect. It's melancholy, but it's kind of hopeful. Tragic. Beautiful.

5.) Phish - Horn

A lot of this has to do with the solo - one of the prettiest guitar bits I've heard in my life. Every piece of this song, a shorter composition for the band, is perfect. Just...perfect. It's really hard to articulate precisely what the music in this song makes me feel, but it makes me feel it beyond anything else. It's quite overwhelming. I have definitely cried listening to this song at least a dozen times.

6.) Tim Buckley - Hallucinations

Buckley's voice, the lyrics, and the absolutely perfect music for the song make this one of the greatest songs I can ever dream of hearing. Definitely more in the "freak-folk", "psych-folk" genre, but it doesn't feel as artificial and "psychedelic for psychedelic's sake" as a lot of the other songs in the genre. Truly a superb work.

7.) Soft Machine - All White

I cannot even count the amount of mixes I've put this song on. There's just something about it that is indescribably wonderful to me. The mood, precise placement of all sounds. Just a top notch track.

8.) Queen - The Prophet's Song

Probably my all time favorite Queen song. It gives me chills every single time I hear it. Very perfect. Mercury's voice, the music, the bizarre (yet wholly fitting) vocal interlude. I've never gotten tired of this song, and I have listened to it on a regular basis since I was in high school.

9.) Regina Spektor - Oedipus

In my opinion, the perfect Regina Spektor song. It doesn't get repetitive or boring, has a wonderful story, and is vocally flawless. The melody lines are also lovely. It's just one of those songs that I was immediately drawn to.

10.) Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

People can say how overrated this song is all day, but that won't make me love it any less. It seems to describe my entire point in life at the present moment precisely. It's kind of a universal feeling, I'd imagine, but it feels so personal somehow. Very special song to me, from the first time I heard it.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote