Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #168 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
It depends on why you do that. I think there are three possible causes:
  1. Bucause you honestly think it's the right thing. That is, due to a sincere own moral conviction.
  2. Just because it's an order. A supposed order dictated by a supposed god through a supposed prophet (a goathers-village's local boss, a carpenter's hippie son in the Middle-East, an Arab syphilitic cameller, etc...) in a supposed certain way.
  3. A kind of "intermediate way": the neurotic (or hypocrite) way. You actually behave as you want, but using a self-deception as an alibi. That is, you like to think you do things because you follow religious commandments, although deep in your mind you know that's not true. Catholic priests call this way scholastic, but it's actually the same thing with a politically-correct name.
Lets see you just insulted Jacob, Jesus and Mohamed, their respective religions and observes of those religions in one fell swoop, and for what? If you don't believe in them - you don't believe in them. Really I don't get your reference of "a goathers-village's local boss," maybe you mean Abraham, but it also could be Jacob who is associated with sheep since he took care of Laban's herd, it isn't as sardonic as the others (maybe it is maybe it isn't), but anyway your knowledge of Judaism (the Bible) is wanting, the two people whom were given the law were Noah and Moses, not Abraham or Jacob.

God isn't "a supposed idea," there are philosophical arguments (outside of divine revelation) that points to God's existence. But if one has a (proper and moderate) understanding of God one would not considered it an order, but an objective truth that "Thou shall not kill" mean one shouldn't take innocent life and respect the dignity of a human being, so 1 depends on 2 - I don't see why you think there is a distinction between the two.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote