Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #179 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by crukster View Post
a-theism.

the absence of Theology.

Theology hardly refers specificaly to Jesus Christ.

I assumed Unitarian Universalism would tackle the idea of God and Existence also, admitedly I don't know anything about "UU" other than what VEGANGELICA wrote there. If it doesn't, then it's nothing like Sufism, I'll retract my claim.

Also, I thought atheists were only called atheists because they "fell into no other category"? Surely if you follow UU, you'd be a called a Unitarian Universalist.

If you're an atheist Unitarian Universalist then that just proves me earlier point where I was sayign atheism is a group with it's own agendas. Thus it contradicts itself and the name is innacurate and misleading.
Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god or gods. Unitarian Universalism doesn't require its followers to believe in the supernatural to be part of the group--their emphasis is much more on the here and now and on community--so there isn't any conflict in being an atheist UU. As I said there are quite a few of them.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote