Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #181 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by crukster View Post
Why does it need a name then?
Because we live in a world that is dominated by religion in one form or another. Being religious is the norm on this planet and as a result there is a word for people who don't fit into the norm. It's the same reason we have a word for bald. If we lived in a world where no one had hair there'd be no need for the word "bald".

Quote:
Originally Posted by crukster View Post
This is what I still don't get. To be clear here, I've got nothing against people who don't have any religious belief; I just can't bring myself to respect the word, idea, and group that is atheism.

If someone chooses to not believe in God, or any rendition of God, fine that's up to them. If someone chooses not to even tackle the idea of God in all it's entirety and complexity and just write it off, I lose a bit of respect and I don't advocate it but I don't hold anything against them; it's up to them what they do with their life.

But when people start giving a name to an idea based on nothing, essentially worhsipping the idea of a lack of worship, well I cant stomach that. Still though I can say, it's up to them, they can do what they want.

When those groups start intefering with the rest of the World, that's not something I'm happy about though, thats a step too far and tbh I've not really decided if and what I should do about that, I'm not exactly in a position of power.
I think what you don't understand is that non-believers are a minority and an invisible minority at that. It's a little like being gay in that if you remain silent people simply assume you're a part of the majority and obliviously push their viewpoint on you. So there is a need to speak up and make people aware that you do exist. But then, because you are a minority, simply speaking up for yourself and others like you is viewed as aggression toward the status quo. It becomes a catch-22 really. You can either keep your mouth shut and endure the antagonism and ignorance or you can say "hey, I'm right here" and contend with the anger that gets directed at any out-group.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote