Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #182 (permalink)
crukster
Music Addict

People are too defined by all these labels and "norms." You're a Human you're alive, you do what you think is Right and that's all that matters, if people don't like it, screw those people. The whole World could go cannabilistic tommorow, I wouldn't say "I'm part of the anti-cannibal alliance you've got to accept me" I'd say "I don't eat people, the only label I need is Human Being. If you eat people I'm gonna chop your mother****ing head off your shoulders" And if people couldn't respect that, then they're not people I wanna deal with. I would not want to be involved with cannibalistic people.

If I thought the apple was rotten I wouldnt wanna bite it. In my opinion, when anyone gives themself a name or pledges to something, it should be something that represents the base-state of that idea; more important than the actual name though, it should be to an idea which is self-sustaining, self-verifying, and self-motivated.

Let's argue for posterity's sake that there's no more religion tommorow. The word atheist becomes "moot". If that's what some people are aiming for, I'd respect it a lot more if they admit it, rather than think they can mingle amongst the group as a self-confessed enemy to the group. Whether they tell you or not is irrelevant. They're trying to con you into treating them a certain way. Same with gay people as you mentioned - I have no problem with whoever decides to do what behind closed doors so long as it's between consenting adults. I don't like the idea that I have to play this "game" of continual "verification" and acceptance "OH yeah it's fine what you do" I don't think it is, it's not something I'm ever gonna do and I won't pretend like I'm interested. I don't give a crap. Do what you want, I'll treat you like every other person I see on the street. But if you start bothering me with the details of your life, you're inviting critiscm, thats an intellectual right. Same principle with religion - religion is personal. If you make a point of putting it out there, you cant expect everyone to like it. That goes for a lack of religion also. There's no special treatment in my book.

I don't expect everyone to agree, I don't expect everyone to make nice and be friends. I don't like facades; if someone really believes that Religion in all of it's entirety, God in all of His entirety is worthless, they should admit to it instead of trying to fit in around the religious. Then, if we can get along, we get along. If we can't, why should we pretend to?

Generally speaking, they won't though, it's too convenient. It's their "get-out clause". If you have a name or an idea like that, it's very "cosy", very convenient - you can sit in with the group, but you're conveniently not subject to any of the group's responsibilities. Well, either you're in or you're out. Either you're with us or you're not, there's no room for dead weight.

I don't begrudge anyone who doesn't want any part of religion.

If you don't want a part, though, how can you have a say in religious affairs and matters?

Why would you require the verification of anyone religious?

Why would you want to be around those people that are being ignorant or angry and enforcing demands on you? Why would you want to mix with people that say "you have to do this" "you have to do that" etc. and why would you give yourself a name that puts yourself under their heel?

You can't get along with everybody. And you simply can't treat everyone the same. You can have a basic amount of respect for everyone, sure, but you can't treat them the same. Someone who eats a lot versus someone who's full after a few bites, would you force feed them the same amount for the sake of "equality"? No. Equality is about need. The equality is in the table of food you set up. People eat how much they need.

Also this itself is pretty innacurate if you apply it to atheism. The "in" thing thesedays is to be atheist. A lot of people resent me because I'm Muslim, I don't give a ****. I don't make a point of broadcasting it, because I'm not an attention seeking idiot. But I don't by any means hide it at all nor am I ashamed, if anyone asks I tell em "yeah I am" if they make a problem I tell em "it's none of your business man, get back to whatever the **** you was doing". If they ask me questions about my faith I do the best to answer them, I'm hardly a model Muslim though. And then if they're half-decent I get along with them, if they're not, screw them. There's more to me than just my faith. My faith is my groundwork.

There's more to anyone than just their faith, or lack thereof.

Last edited by crukster; 03-29-2011 at 07:03 PM.
crukster is offline   Reply With Quote