Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #185 (permalink)
crukster
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
What are you on about here? If you really mean what you write in your post, why does it make a flying **** of a difference that some atheists want to get together to talk about their lack of belief in a god? And why should you have the right to judge them? I don't see what's wrong with the UUA, or being an atheist and being involved. Is it impossible for you to see that there are genuinely good people out there who want to meet and talk about making the world a better place that don't believe in any higher power? Also, the fact that atheists don't believe in a higher power doesn't mean that some of them might not want to get together to search for a meaning in life. I'm sorry for what I'm about to say because I know you will most likely take it wrong and be offended, but that's really what all religion is about - developing good morals and finding a meaning for the chaos that is life. Some just choose to do the same thing that you and I do with religion without looking to a spiritual being. There's much bigger concerns today with religious groups than there are atheists. We tend to cause quite a lot of big controversies; I don't see much with atheism.
There's no need to apologise for saying that and I agree anyway man. They should admit that that's what they're doing, and not fly about with this false pretense saying that they're not a group or a theology. Because they're definitly a group and they are a theology imo.

atheism is just half-assedness. There's a lot of different answers to the big questions of life out there. All I'm saying is don't develop your own based off some bad experience with religious people in the past or anger at your parents or something.

If you called a Buddhist an atheist because they don't believe in the traditional Abrahamic God, I don't think they'd be too happy. That's not what defines their belief; what defines their belief is the path they follow.

All I'm getting at is, people should stop focusing on what they dont believe and focus on what they do believe. If they believe the answer is nothing, then that's their answer. That's not anti- or a- anything, it's just nothing. I don't think the answer is ever nothing though. So why develop your grounds for questioning life on the antithesis of something existing?

If you dont believe, you dont believe. I'm not a doctor. Thats doesnt make me adoctor or amedical. I'm just simply unqualified to be a doctor.

the idea of atheism represents the aknowledgement of emptiness. And I can't respect that.

Which is something different to not believing. If you dont believe, fine, as I've said 100 times already. But you cant form a frickin philosophy around not believing in something; you form it around believing in something ELSE, or you dont form anything, its as simple as that.
crukster is offline   Reply With Quote