Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #192 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Janszoon & crukster both have a point IMO.

It's true that, technically, atheism is nothing more than the lack of any belief in a deity.... but at the same time, atheists (generally speaking) do tend to display a cult-like antipathy towards theists, and in some cases will more or less make idols out of the leaders of the 'New Atheist Movement' like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, etc. I think it's fairly telling that on Facebook profiles and the like, under "beliefs", most atheists don't put "none", they put "atheism".
Do you not see the huge logical flaw inherent in what you are saying here? You're basically only acknowledging the existence of atheists who conform to your stereotype of the group. For all you know 90% percent of atheists could be people who don't declare it in any way, but you'd never know they're atheists because they don't actively identify themselves as such.

Your comments are actually a good example of the atheist catch-22 and the problems with being an invisible minority that I was talking about earlier. If atheists remain silent about who they are, people like yourself go around thinking that the handful of atheists you are aware of are representative of the whole. But if they speak up and say "hey, I'm an atheist too" they get accused of being in your face about it.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote