Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #199 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but in the US atheists have to contend with mainstream politicians and other figures in the media saying things like this:

Gingrich fears 'atheist country … dominated by radical Islamists' – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

And of course if we say anything about it we're viewed as "snarky" or "trying to force our beliefs on others". Definitely feels like a no-win situation sometimes.
I'm not picking sides; as an agnostic I never do. I don't like enforcing views on others on both fronts, but it seems that atheism almost never gets a bad rap for it.

I'm not trying to stereotype atheists either. I specified it was from the atheists that I've dealt with. From my experience going to a Catholic high school (even though I'm not Catholic), I found that being snarky (can't believe i used that word) was definitely behind it.

Involving religion in politics is just wrong though. Secularism is the way to go.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote