Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #202 (permalink)
crukster
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
This is fundamentally incorrect. Suppose that, somewhere in the world, there is a small group of people that worship a tiny golden teapot in the sky. We could call them teapotists. Does it take someone who "rejects and disputes" the existence of this tiny golden teapot to be labeled as a "ateapotist"? No, of course not. Most people probably aren't aware that such an epistemic absurdity is considered to exist. Therefore, they lack belief in this teapot, therefore, they are ateapotists by default.

As Richard Dawkins said, "We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
No actually, I am not an ateapotist. If I was interested in the belief enough, I would learn about it, ask about, understand where it originates from. If I didn't believe it, I wouldn't believe it. I'm not an "ateapotist" by default, I am just simply not a teapotist.

Either I follow the belief and I decide to call myself a Teapotist. Or I don't, and I don't.
crukster is offline   Reply With Quote