Music Banter - View Single Post - Woods - Songs of Shame (2009)
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
I may as well say a bit about it. I've listened to it around two times. I thought it was a decent album, and I was really surprised to hear a few 60's-ish guitar solos that were worked into some of the songs. The combination of the electric and acoustic guitars gave it a nice alternative rock feel to it in songs as well (like the track "Rain On"). The overall sound of the album is very unique (especially the vocals), which was nice.

I'll admit that it didn't really blow me away, but it certainly was entertaining. I plan on going back over it in the future to get a much better opinion of it. I plan to look into the lyrics, too.

I can say this much, however, I haven't heard a folk rock album like this in the past.

If I could name a few artists that are similar, I would have to say that some of the guitar work is somewhat similar to Galaxy 500 and the vocals are (a little bit) similar to Wayne Coyne's.
There are certainly better albums within the field out there, but I find it very interesting nonetheless, and it does grow on you with time. Albums from artists such as Mushroom and Six Organs of Admittance will blow your socks off, this one merely sends ripples through them. But they feel nice.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote