Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 PM   #229 (permalink)
GeddyBass2112
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Really? I would never have guessed that at all, you write like a native speaker.

What is your first language?
I spoke French until I was 5 and went to school. Don't speak it as much as I'd like, so I'm rusty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
I've personally found that by living with more awareness and sensitivity most activities that religions would deem "immoral" simply become unappealing. As long as there's this struggle of repression/indulgence it's hard to find inner peace. Being totally aware of your thoughts and feelings in an honest and transparent way is much more important, in my opinion, than trying to force yourself into a code of conduct which you constantly struggle with.
Sometimes it's not about completely denying yourself something but channeling it into something more positive and useful. There's a thing called 'jíhad' in Islam which means 'struggle' or 'striving' and which basically means undertaking those things you find difficult and seeking God in those things to help you. This is the REAL meaning of jihad.

For example, lust is seen as a bad thing in most religions, but channeling that feeling towards that person into a meaningful relationship is not. Same with things like gluttony: overeating and greed are seen as bad things, as well as eating 'bad' foods, whilst following a strict diet (whether it be the prescribed kosher/halal diets, or simply the more simple religious edict to not be greedy and look after the body) can have a reward, both mentally and physically, spiritually and emotionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
But the result might be well worth the struggle. To quote Aristotle "I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is the victory over self."
I LOVE Aristotle! I'm sigging this when I can...
GeddyBass2112 is offline   Reply With Quote