Music Banter - View Single Post - Health and fitness thread
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
EvilChuck
#based

Default Health and fitness thread

A place where we can share stories and advice during our efforts to become healthier.

Last year I gave up smoking. I smoked heavily from the age of 14, I was smoking 20 cigarettes a day (and was 21 when I gave up). I stopped cold turkey, and to be honest it wasn't as hard as I might have imagined. I had nights during the first week where I struggled with sleep, waking up with the sweats on more than one occassion per night, but once they subsided I was pretty much clear of them completely.

Problem was, I started eating when I would have usually had a smoke. I started drinking more coffee (with sugar in it), and with winter being fecking freezing I generally did nothing outside at all, apart from walk to work in the mornings. Safe to say, I got a bit chubby.

About 6 weeks ago, I cut out non essential sugars. That is to say that fizzy drinks were gone (4 cans of pepsi or dr pepper through a day was my poison), and replaced that with sugar free blackcurrant squash (which also upped my water intake as well). I stopped getting my coffees every day as well, so I'm also saving alot of money from that. The only sugar I get is now from food stuffs, fruit and the like that have natural sugars in them.

3 weeks ago I started to eat alot healthier. Instead of fried foods, I am grilling alot more. Instead of cooking what looks like a good amount, I am being careful about the amount I put on a plate and weighing things before I cook them so I know what I'm eating. And I'm eating more of the right foods; alot more fish and chicken basically lol.

2 weeks ago I started my own exercise program. I'm doing an hour on a stationary bicycle per night, travelling an average of 30 kilometres per night in the process (which according to the computer on the bike burns 700ish calories).

Since starting this whole process of dieting and exercising more, I have lost about an inch around my waist, and alot of fat from around my ribs and face as well. I dont weight myself, because I think its pointless. As you exercise more you will build muscle, so theoretically you could lose fat but put on weight, and then feel bad. I judge based on how my body feels and looks to me.

I should start to lift weights as well. I know its a good way to burn more calories, and also builds more muscle... but this is where my problem is. I dont know exercises for each muscle.

Anyone got any idea how you work out the muscles on the side of your stomach above your hip bones? And I need good exercises for the 'wing' muscles, the ones at the side of the ribs under the armpit. Also, the shoulder muscles, as in next to the biceps and triceps.

I know someone here can help, and if I can help anyone else with anything I'll try.
EvilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote