Music Banter - View Single Post - New MB Community Site
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #85 (permalink)
Howell
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
I'd like to see an upgrade of site content which would require a volunteer staff of editorial writers and/or reviewers who wrote regular reviews and essays. Most of the forum threads are haphazard and I do most of my reading in the Editor's Pick and the Music Journal section where you can find some fairly knowledgeable well written reviews & essays. I really don't like the site design and it's in dire need of a face lift.

I'd like to see an expansion of a by-invitation-only music blogs at Music Banter and a less space allocated for the forum which is mostly "my favorite band is cool" type of posts. I'd rather see the forum topics developed and moderated by people with some knowledge of music instead of the current "start a thread on anything under the sun" method which usually develops into a free for all discussion that goes completely off topic by the 4th or 5th reply posting.

For example the reggae music section contains very little discussion about those producers, musicians and bands that built reggae music in the 70s and 80s. Many of the bands discussed in the reggae music section aren't even reggae music musicians at all.

On the other hand, there a number of MB members who have a commanding knowledge of the blues and I was shocked to discover how many MB members know a lot about some of the more esoteric delta blues musicians. I think MB has enough collective musical knowledge among it's core membership to discuss nearly any genre of music under the sun but frequently this forums best contributors are underutilized.

The most interesting participants in MB are the musical generalists who have broad interdisciplinary grasp of several genres of popular music and along and understanding of the traditional music folkways. Generally the only people with that sort of broad musical education are either musicians, music journalists, music retail store owners or employees, radio or sound system deejay or serious music collectors.
Could have not put it better myself..

There is definitley a great opportunity to get some reviews, news items, gig alerts etc. going on this website and again we can assign certain MB members to cover them, I 'spose it would be more of a 'magazine' type thing but it would be mainly down to:

Who is gonna be the "head editior' who will post the news,reviews etc on the site

Certain sub editiors for like the News, Reviews section

The writers (and they will be assigned certain roles to write on)

It's a also a good way to help people who do wanna get into the music journalism world who can put it down on their CV which will definetly attract the employers eye in my book