Music Banter - View Single Post - Badlittlekitten's top 50 indie/alternative tracks of this century so far.
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

The Shins - Gone For Good
Chutes To Narrow

I'm not a big Shins fan but this lovely country rock number has a place in my heart. A soundtrack to the Bad Times of wondering drunk around London "floating around", going nowhere. Like me, front man John Mercer is a lousy lover, but it doesn't stop him from passing the blame elsewhere as he sings, "I find a fatal flaw in the logic of love and go out of my head". The chorus descends into A minor with heart melting effect and the words, "Girl, you must atone some. Don't leave me no phone number thereeeeeeee la di la", is sung in lovelorn harmony and reaches a sense of melancholy inside me that only a handful of artists have reached. But the next chorus is the knockout blow as Mercer sings, "You want to jump and dance, but you sat on your hands and lost your only chance", a simple but effective line, and my mind is istantly filled with chances I missed and lips I should have kissed.

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote