Music Banter - View Single Post - Through the Ides of March (2002) - A Whisper in the Noise
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Default Through the Ides of March (2002) - A Whisper in the Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
Just to add to the numbers, I'll suggest Through the Ides of March (2002) by A Whisper in the Noise.

A Whisper in the Noise's discography has never had a complete definition in terms of genre. Most go with modern progressive rock, post-rock, indie rock, shoegaze, alternative rock, art rock, and sometimes experimental rock (although to a lesser degree). But regardless of the genre's label, their music is great, and I attempted to promote them a bit when I first joined this site. Their debut in particular has always been my favorite, and it has a more interesting sound than their more "popular" album, Dry Land (2007) which is still great all in its own. Through the Ides of March utilizes many classical instruments such as the cello, french horn, and violin which allows West Thordson, the frontman, to have more freedom when composing the music.

The overall sound of the album is very dark and can range anything from mellow to spastic and loud (which is best exemplified by "Seeing You" - the fourth track in the album). The lyrics are also very interesting because he manages to create a lot of meaning with such a minimalistic way of writing them (kind of similar to what Emily ****inson did). Anyways... that's it.
So, what did you guys think of it?
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote