Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Ska Week!
Thread: It's Ska Week!
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
dankrsta

Default It's Ska Week!

I must admit I don't know much about ska, its history and origin, so I will call Wikipedia and Allmusic for help. I know there are some pretty knowledgeable fans of this genre here on the forum, so if they could provide their insight and thoughts on ska and its development that would be great.

Quote:
Ska is a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1950s, and was the precursor to rocksteady and reggae. Ska combined elements of Caribbean mento and calypso with American jazz and rhythm and blues. It is characterized by a walking bass line accented with rhythms on the upbeat. In the early 1960s, ska was the dominant music genre of Jamaica and was popular with British mods.

Music historians typically divide the history of ska into three periods: the original Jamaican scene of the 1960s (First Wave), the English 2 Tone ska revival of the late 1970s (Second Wave) and the third wave ska movement, which started in the 1980s (Third Wave) and rose to popularity in the US in the 1990s.
Ska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of ska musicians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Ska marked the true beginning of Jamaican popular music, coming to prominence during the early and mid-'60s right around the time the island was granted its independence. Ska ensembles were generally a blend of electric instrumentation and horns most popular in jazz (saxophone, trumpet, trombone). Although structurally simple, ska has a bevy of influences, synthesizing American R&B, jump blues, Jamaican mento, calypso and other Caribbean styles, big-band swing, Afro-Cuban jazz, pocomania and other local religious folk music, and European ballroom dances. Of those, the first three -- R&B, jump blues, and mento -- were the most important building blocks.
Explore: Ska | AllMusic