Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone else have a hard time getting into instrumental music
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think maybe I felt that way when I was in my teens but it's definitely not how I feel today. Some days I'd say I actually even prefer instrumental music because it seems more like pure sonic expression, unencumbered by the baggage of words.
I agree with this. I never appreciated classical or instrumental music when I was younger, possibly because I had never made the effort to learn about it or actually listen to some of it. Even in high school, in all the music courses I took, I never thought twice about this music. I'm embarrassed to admit, as a multi-instrumentalist, I never took the time to learn about the music I was playing before I entered university. Things are different now though - I actually read the notes that come with the books or the sheet music.

When I started university as a music student, I was being educated on all aspects of Western art music since the era of Ancient Greece. I have a stronger appreciation for classical music especially, and am now starting to listen to more instrumental jazz and avant-garde music made during the 20th and 21st centuries.

My next goal is to get more into the traditional instrumental music of the rest of the world.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote