Music Banter - View Single Post - Regarding the future of religion
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #73 (permalink)
RVCA
( ̄ー ̄)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
What reason do you have to mistrust your emotions/intuitions?
Good reason. My emotions have lead me astray many times.

Quote:
You've had no intuitive experience that there is a higher power, fine, you have no reason to believe it. Other people have had this intuitive experience, so they find a reason to believe. Reason and intuition are not at war, they're complementary. Some people rely more on reason, some rely more on intuition. Some believe that their reason is superior to intuition, and that intuitive 'feelings' are anomalies that should be ignored. Some believe that their intuition is superior to reason, and that reason, common sense, or science should be ignored. Ideally, intuition and reason can operate hand in hand, at whatever level they've been developed, and we can keep an open mind toward other people's experiences. After all, we're always growing, always experiencing new things, new depths we didn't imagine were there before.
I usually respect and agree with what you have to say, but I'm afraid that in this case, your input is a bunch of pseudological crap. A quick search of Google lead to the following definitions of "intuition".

Dictionary.com: direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.
Answers.com: The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition.
Merriam-Webster.com: the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

Correct me if I'm wrong, as perhaps I'm interpreting "intuition" too narrowly, but it seems to be directly "at war" with reason. Reaching a conclusion and forming some belief through intuition is vastly different than forming some belief through reason.

For example, a large majority of human civilization used to hold the belief, formed through intuition, that the Earth was flat. That just seemed to make sense, didn't it? It felt right. But through the use of reason and the acquisition of evidence, we now know that the Earth is not flat. This is one of infinite cases where beliefs formed on intuition are flat out unjustifiable, unprovable, and false.

That's not to say that reason and intuition are mutually exclusive when forming beliefs. I recognize that an intuition about something X might lead to the discovery and formulation of reasons to hold X true, but a belief formed solely upon intuition cannot be said to be "complementary" to a belief formed upon reason.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and arguing about this stuff is pointless. Still. Never going to stop being pointless. The argument might also never disappear, but individuals will pop in or drop out.
I completely agree, but I find it intellectually stimulating to discuss it nonetheless.
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote