Music Banter - View Single Post - New MB Community Site
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #93 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
The point I was trying to make though is that even though you post the review doesn't mean it doesn't go unread just because people don't post in it.

It probably has stirred the curiosity of others and they have gone on to download the album or other works from the artist you review.
I don't think it matters much if people read them without commenting. I believe writers generally feel rewarded when they get some recognition, some response, some kind of confirmation that someone's read what they've written.

I'm not saying that people should be forced or feel obligated to read and respond to stuff they have no interest in. All I'm saying is that a thread like Dotoar's Caravan discography thread would probably generate more interest and more participation from a larger part of the community had he posted it in the Prog Archives forums than here. I thought a front page showcasing such threads might change that, but now I'm less positive. One reason I thought it would help is that newcomers to the site who like Caravan would see that they're being written about and so would sign up (right now those threads are kinda hidden). But musicbanter.com won't get a front page anyway (admin has said no) and so it would have to happen on a new site and I don't think a new site would have high enough google rankings to get new members, at least not for quite a while. It would be us writing for eachother.

edit :

I'm of course not saying there's not plenty of other reasons why one might want a new site.