Music Banter - View Single Post - New MB Community Site
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #94 (permalink)
djchameleon
A.B.N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I don't think it matters much if people read them without commenting. I believe writers generally feel rewarded when they get some recognition, some response, some kind of confirmation that someone's read what they've written.

I'm not saying that people should be forced or feel obligated to read and respond to stuff they have no interest in. All I'm saying is that a thread like Dotoar's Caravan discography thread would probably generate more interest and more participation from a larger part of the community had he posted it in the Prog Archives forums than here. I thought a front page might change that, but now I'm less positive. One reason I thought it would help is that newcomers to the site who like Caravan would see that they're being written about and so would sign up. But musicbanter.com won't get a front page anyway (admin has said no) and so it would have to happen on a new site and I don't think a new site would have high enough google rankings to get new members. It would be us writing for eachother.

edit :

I'm of course not saying there's not plenty of other reasons why one might want a new site.
What's wrong with us writing for each other? There is loads of bands out there that I'm sure some of us haven't heard of and we love to read up on it. If you go into a new site worrying about new members right off the bat then I think it's going to fail. Those new members will come in time. At first it will start out with just a core group and then it will slowly grow in time.

Of course, writers feel rewarded when people comment and create a discussion off of what they have written but I feel like that's the wrong reason to be writing about it in the first place if you JUST want attention and not to write about it because you are passionate about the band/artist itself that you want to personally analyze it.

The format would work if there was a blog style front page and the reviews may get a few more readers but that doesn't mean that people will comment/discuss everything they read. I have listened to some awesome bands/artists based off of what I have read in the journals but I am guilty of not posting to tell the writer that what they are writing is being read and to keep up the good work.

I should probably do it more often to stroke their ego a bit and make them feel like they aren't just writing and it's going unnoticed but me personally. When I do a write up in my journal, I don't mind if I have readers or not. I write it up to keep track of whatever project i'm working on and maybe in the future sometime. A new member will stumble across it and find some great finds.
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote