Music Banter - View Single Post - Nuclear Rabbit - Vicuna (1997) [SAA Album Club discussion thread]
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

I wanted to /bump this for more responses maybe, but also had been thinking about these two comments and I decided I did have something to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Your typical 90s Oakland avant-rock band output. Yet, nowhere near the works Idiot Flesh, Bungle, Secret Chiefs, or Estradasphere. Suppose sort of a punkier more accessible rendition of what Mr.Bungle was doing with their self entitled album. Yet, it loses a notch due to the fact it takes away that rebellious spirit by being a tad bit more fan friendly.

Voted it average, cause that's the way I heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
The Red Hot Chili Peppers trying to sound like the Boredoms. Crap.
I heard Mr. Bungle first, and particularly their more 'off the wall' "Egg", Ma Meeshka Ma Skwoz" "Squeeze Me Macaroni" "Desert Search for Techno Allah" "Carousel" and really enjoyed that unique sound. I found some sort of bond with the eccentricity and playfulness in the music, akin to Zappa perhaps.

I discovered Nuclear Rabbit in 2001, with their 3rd (and seemingly last) album. I immediately had the other two albums available to me through my friend that introduced me in the first place and listened to those as well... Fell in love with all their work. We went and saw them live upwards of ten times in the next four years.

I discovered Secret Chiefs 3, Idiot Flesh, and Estradasphere [from Florida I believe] around 2007... through Last.fm related artists with Nuclear Rabbit. My impression of Estradasphere was that they were all right, Secret Chiefs are amazing and unique in their own right, and I had/have trouble getting into Idiot Flesh. I like them but honestly haven't listened to half of their work yet.

My impression was that Nuclear Rabbit was truly unique and that there are no other bands that sound just like they do.

I looked at a lot of their related artists... Dog Fashion Disco, Alter Boys, Tub Ring, Polkadot Cadaver... some very interesting, different, and I guess that's why they're related.... unique red-headed stepchildren of the Mr Bungle, Infectious Grooves, Red Hot Chili Peppers influence.
Although Nuclear Rabbit claims/does have a lot of soul/pop influence too apparently. I thought they were kidding, but in reflection I can see it in play, an acknowledgement.

I don't know The Boredoms. I have a feeling if you say one of my favorite bands is trying to 'be' them, I'd probably like that so thanks for the recommendation OccultHawk. But, honestly, they are unique and I must disagree with your comment that they are wannabe anyones. I just about beg of you to listen to the album front to back once more and tell me that again because its not true. At the very least, inspired by would be the appropriate term to use?

I think Rabbit was influenced by 90s sounds such as this:
Infectious Grooves - Monster Skank

Anyway, hope to get some discussion going.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote