Music Banter - View Single Post - albums with fancy/unsual packaging
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

If it's an album or box set by someone I like and it has decent exclusives or extras then I am willing pay a few extra quid for it but I certainly don't buy something for the sake of it. I usually reserve that for DVD's!

Some of the current crop of slipcased Deluxe editions are very hit and miss. Jeff Buckley's Grace is a decent 2 disc set with an extra DVD too but then you have Black Sabbath's Paranoid in the same series with an extras disc with the album in 5.1 for home cinema. The album was only recorded in 4 track ffs so that is completely pointless having to find an extra audio channel that wasn't even there in the first place!

A friend did pay £70 for the deluxe edition of Porcupine Tree's The Incident because it came in a hardback book style case with the short story based around the album and I told him he was nuts. He agreed and admitted he was drunk when he ordered it!

The most I have paid for a set is £20 for Joy Division's Heart and Soul box set which was definitely worth it and the most for a DVD was £32 for the American 4 disc version of the original Dawn of the Dead movie as it's has never been released over here in that configuration.

I guess though if you are a collector and love the album or film and money is no object who are we to pass judgement?

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote