Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #972 (permalink)
Zer0

Presenting

A Beginner's Guide To

Camera Obscura

Camera Obscura was formed in Glasgow in 1996 by Tracyanne Campbell, John Henderson and Gavin Dunbar. In the 15 years since they have released one mini-album Rare UK Bird (1999) and four studio albums, Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi (2001), Underachievers Please Try Harder (2003), Let's Get Out Of This Country (2006) and My Maudlin Career (2009) along with a scattering of singles and EPs. The band have gone from strength to strength with each album building in confidence and songwriting and building up a dedicated fanbase along the way. The band are a little too often compared to fellow Scots Belle & Sebastian, a comparison the band are tired of, but like B&S they are greatly influenced by 60's pop melodies and they transport the listener back to simpler musical times. Frontwoman Tracyanne Campbell's lyrics often deal with the pain and heartbreak of relationships and her deeply personal lyrics and sweet, shy, down-to-earth nature has made her an unlikely cult idol with fans. Camera Obscura have an incredibly consistent discography, including some killer b-sides, and anyone who investigates more will be greatly rewarded.

French Navy (My Maudlin Career)
Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken (Let's Get Out Of This Country)
Keep It Clean (Underachievers Please Try Harder)
The Sweetest Thing (My Maudlin Career)
Teenager (Underachievers Please Try Harder)
Eighties Fan (Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi)
San Francisco Song (Keep It Clean single)
Let's Get Out Of This Country (Let's Get Out Of This Country)
Let Me Go Home (Underachievers Please Try Harder)
My Maudlin Career (My Maudlin Career)
Double Feature (Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi)
Razzle Dazzle Rose (Let's Get Out Of This Country)

I Don't Want To Be Part Of Your SCENE