Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #357 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
that's almost like saying that no one should take responsibility for their actions at all whatsoever because it's free will.
I was leaning more towards suicide being morrally neutral, rather than cowardly or selfish. But again, physicall, suicide affects no one but the person who kills themself. It's like getting an ugly tattoo. Other people may not want to look at it, but in the end, it's YOUR body and YOUR decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon
suicide is selfish because it affects others around them.
But EVERYTHING we do could somehow affect others either mentally or emotionally. We can't control other people's feelings or emotions. If we fretted everytime someone else got sad or upset, we'd all be apathetic losers walking around with our heads down, it would consume our entire lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon
That's the easy way out. People deal with so much **** in their life on a daily basis. Don't you think they want to take the easy way out and end it all? but no! they have the courage to push through all the **** that life is dealing them at that one point in time instead of taking the cowardly way out and shoving off their responsibilities onto their loved ones.
I disagree completely that death is the easy way out. It seems more of a philisophical question of if you value death as much as life. I don't want to spur another religious or philisophical debate, but I personally view death as just another part of life. Both are equally important. And I believe that it takes a million times more courage to step out onto the tracks infront of a moving train and kill yourself than it does to get a minimum wage job so you can flip burgers for the next 50 years, be in debt up to your eyeballs, and wake up every day wishing that you were dead. I'd rather die and feel nothing than live and feel horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe
But if someone commited suicide merely to spite the people around them, then that's shitty.
I'd bet in hindsight, it wouldn't be quite as a big of a FUCK YOU! as they had hoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
You even said yourself that nobody really wants to die.
Some people do. If that is what they want, who are we to tell them otherwise? We may be sad, but that is OUR problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty
although I think people who have kids to take care of and commit suicide are the world's ultimate losers and cowards.
It is no more cowardly than abandoning your child by getting a divorce and moving away, having no contact with them. The end result would be exactly the same from their perspective.