Music Banter - View Single Post - Strategies Against Architecture - The Avant Garde/Experimental Album Club
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #309 (permalink)
dankrsta

It's time I suggest something again. Don't see her mentioned on this forum at all. Therefore, I suggest:

Meredith Monk - Dolmen Music (1981)

This suggestion is partly inspired by this month's minimalist compilation and partly by the fact that we haven't listened to any vocal acrobatics in this album club. Those of you who are familiar with Meredith Monk, I guess you already know this album. She's a New York minimalist composer best known for her unique and brave vocal explorations. She's also a filmmaker and some of her works include theater and dance. This album is probably best known of her work. It showcases her innovations as a vocalist, accompanied by minimal music. Despite being very adventurous and unpredictable in that regard, it's wonderfully listenable, which is something I admire greatly. No matter how stumped you may be at first, her voice evokes a wide range of emotions, from deeply personal to those universal and archetypal.