Music Banter - View Single Post - Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy + Canned Heat
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Anyone got the latest Uriah Heep Best Of?

I wouldn`t bother with a Uriah Heep best of, especially if it covers the majority of their albums. Just concentrate on the first five albums of which Dave Byron is the lead singer. The choice albums are "Look at Yourself" "Demons and Wizards" and "The Magicians Birthday" which are the pick of the bunch.

Uriah Heep didn`t have the talent of their counterparts such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Free or Humble Pie but their proggy style hard rock was kind of unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Can`t help you with Uriah Heep, I`m afraid, but for people not familiar with Canned Heat, I can offer the following :

Firstly, they have some pretty good credentials. Formed when John Fahey got a couple of his friends together, Canned Heat were a springboard for the solo careers of Harvey Mandel and Walter Trout, and were fronted by the impressive figure of Bob "The Bear" Hite. Among other achievements, they made an album with John Lee Hooker, which is considered one of JLH`s best works.
Canned Heat may sound a bit dated by today`s standards because they never messed with the formula, but delivered some great, uncluttered blues and irresistable boogie workouts, like this one :

If I were to buy a Canned Heat album, I`d go for a "Best Of" collection, or "Hooker N Heat", which I suspect is a gem of raw, casual blues jamming.
They were very much a blues rock band of their time and the best of "Canned Heat Cookbook" compilation worth listening to. Also worth seeing is their performance in the Woodstock film
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote