Music Banter - View Single Post - Have you lost hope in mainstream music?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not all that wild about Led Zeppelin and I am not sure how to measure "songwriting sophistication" so I have no idea how to answer that. To me Led Zeppelin are just an okay band and I have no doubt that there a currently other okay bands that are popular. But that's beside the point. The bigger point is that then, just as now, a lot of what charted was lame, lowest common denominator music. I mean, look at what the number one song was the year I was born (1977):

Regardless, there was still somewhat of an alternative. Led Zeppelin definitely had moments that proved they were sophisticated song writers. I think "In my time of dying" showcases quite a lot of instrumental prowess, and legit adherence to gradual progression through the course of a song.

What's the likelyness you'll ever hear anything this patient coming from a mainstream band(or 'act' since bands are going the way of the dodo entirely) in this day and age?

I mean, even the clip you showed showcased a little more songwriting effort than "turn on the drum machine... repeat a vaguely sexual sentence 50 times". I mean, honestly, put the total melodic content of a common pop song in a line, excluding vocals, and you'd be shocked to find more than ten seconds of prewritten melody/drums.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God