Music Banter - View Single Post - Have you lost hope in mainstream music?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Sigur Ros is a platinum-selling band who write nothing but "patient" music. That's just the first example that came to mind, I'm sure there are others
by modern terms, platinum isn't that mainstream. I mean, firstly, their last platinum selling album seemed to be in the 90s according to wiki, and selling one million albums in 10 years compared to Enimen's recovery which sold 5 million within one year, it's hardly a blip on the 'upper crust'.

Then again, mainstream is so difficult to define. In my eyes, it simply means things that are subject to massive media exposure, and radioplay. Thanks to the Internet, obviously things that aren't sold through traditional mainstream means can sell well but it doesn't mean they're mainstream, or their existence is realized as such. It's still not nearly as well as the select few superacts which are hogging all television exposure.

Musicians aren't getting worse, and pop is not getting worse. However, the marketing machine is doing a **** of a lot to promote safer, more controllable predictable cult of personality based acts, promoting decreasing variety through centralization, and trying to weed out the concept of promoting acts on their musical merit.

To me, that's an undeniable.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God