Music Banter - View Single Post - Screaming at the Moon
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #91 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
Environmental sounds have been used in music. Whether it was John Cage composing a piece of silence to show that there never is complete silence, or whether it is the environmental sound based experimental music/work of Luc Ferrari and many others.

But I would say anyway that I do think Phil Spector was involved with some good music, more so than the bands you listed anyway. He also had an influence if anyone thinks that is important as well.

As for you comparison of the individual singer against the music background, you might want to compare this to the soloist against an orchestra in classical music for example.
No offense, but this is elitist propaganda. To mention John Cage, in reference to an article on narrative is like mentioning like mentioning Thomas Aquinas in a discussion about Science. Its not bad enough that he's terrible at it, but that his work has moved against its progress.

As for your second paragraph, this solidifies the elitist completely. To suggest John Cage or Phil Sector is good is something I can believe, but to back both while simultaneously assaulting ALL of the bands I listed its complete non-sense. At least 3 of the acts listed are closer to either specter or cage than cage is to specter. If this were a sailing trip you'd have left England for New York by going around the Cape of Good Hope - in other words, roundabout for the sake of it and for nothing more.

And again, classical ought to have very little to do with this. Its about narrative, which classical may have, but it should never be the measuring stick. A genre without lyrics is inherently hamstrung when it comes to narrative. Yes I'm speaking about music, or more accurately sound, but its sound pitched against lyrics than can, when angled certain ways, reflect sound like light through a prism and give us a kaleidoscope of options, a blinding attack on the pupils, or illuminate that prism wholly.

Imagine the whole thing like a Theremin. Waves emanates out, objects (hands) alter those waves to create sound. Each object on a completely independent axis and trajectory, with all three dimensions in play.

Classical couldn't possibly enter the discussion.