Music Banter - View Single Post - aliens
Thread: aliens
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #74 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Hahaha. No. The Earth is like 5 billion years old, and that statement alone kind of threw a lot of your credibility out the window
I was referring to recorded human history, NOT the age of the Earth. No one here is disputing the age of the planet, Carbon-14 dating really rules out the Scientology notion that the Earth is only a few thousand years old. I guess I should have differentiated better, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. The Romans were very heavily influenced by the Greeks.
I was saying that the Roman and Greek Gods were basically identical (as far as their "powers" and purposes go), they just had different names in each civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke
While there certainly was a blend of science and religion, how does this mean anything? You had a large portion of the population (Stoics) that believed the universe was part of a single whole and that gods were present in everything. How does that leave anything up to interpretation for aliens?
People thought that storms and weather and the fertility of their crops were all directly related to their "Gods" and how well they appeased them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
Or... it could be the psychological need for mankind to want a "fatherly figure" to be looking after them. Of course, if you want to dismiss Freud then go ahead.
Freud's views on religion, space, aliens, etc. are deifinitely well researched and well thought out. He is most definitely entitled to his views, as are all of us. I wouldn't call a difference of opinion a dismissal of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
That's 83 billion billion (83 with eighteen zeros after it) other stars with solar systems in the universe. To me, it's a statistical inevitability that we are not the only intelligent life in the universe. Alien life is not something you "believe in", it's pretty much something that exists, but we have yet to discover.
Couldn't agree more (except for the "haven't discovered yet" part). I believe that most religious icons/deities have actually been ET's, but were perceived as "Gods" since humans really had nothing better to equate them to (seeing as how we hadn't explored space in any great depths).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abearmauledme View Post
Hell no. Even if someone found out about it and told people, they wouldn't be taken seriously. Oojay himself was abducted and there are a **** ton of skeptics here who don't believe him. You can't just go to the police or newspaper, they'd just laugh at you. Besides, think of of all of the conspiracy videos online, some of them have to be true, but you don't see the people who posted them becoming wealthy or benefiting from it in any way. I have no doubt that the government could keep it a secret, in fact they don't even have to because we hide it from ourselves.
Exactly. The US government has been feeding the public disinformation for decates.

Majestic 12

Military Special Operations Manual For Extra Terrestrials

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Lol, well, that's where wormholes come in. It was something Einstein proposed but only took half-seriously himself. Suppose we could "fold" the fabric of space in on itself and create a "shortcut"? It's something scientists seriously look into these days.
Yep. It's a matter of science, not opinion.

Einstein-Rosen Bridge
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote