Music Banter - View Single Post - aliens
Thread: aliens
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #75 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
I was saying that the Roman and Greek Gods were basically identical (as far as their "powers" and purposes go), they just had different names in each civilization.

People thought that storms and weather and the fertility of their crops were all directly related to their "Gods" and how well they appeased them.
Of course they were basically identical; Roman gods were derived from Greek gods. This isn't a coincidence if that's what you're implying. Religion is not the only thing the Greeks influenced the Romans on.

I am still failing to see any connection to aliens from this. I've already mentioned that they formulated their gods based on nature and astrology.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying they observed these gods/aliens in some way? Because that couldn't be further from the truth. There was extensive literature debating whether or not the gods existed, or how one could be inclined to believe they existed. Many didn't even adhere to the pagan tradition, not to mention Christianity was a threat from the start of the Roman Empire, and became the state religion in the 4th century. There was a clash of philosophies, whether it be scientific, metaphysical, ethical or anything else you want to point to. Everything points to the fact that there never was any sort of intervention by some sort of ET, and that their pantheon was just a human concoction to deal with the unknown, like all religion is.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote