Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #652 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Goddamn it, I just wrote you a great long response but then I accidentally closed the tab, somehow.

My point is: Aesop Rock's albums aren't masterpieces because his work is mastery in itself, really; I don't think people really know how much craftsmanship Aesop Rock puts into the construction of his music, which is a shame. I don't know how people don't see it, really. If people weren't so fucking lazy, they would put more effort into analyzing art and take a lot more away from it, rather than shrugging Aesop Rock off as someone who can't flow or someone whose lyrics are just "random." They're not. Aesop Rock knows what he's doing, even if you (not specifically you, matious--just anyone reading this who disagrees with me!) don't.

I dunno man, I think your unfairly generalizing people. It's pretty evident Aesop Rock puts in work, one of his verses alone has more content even on the surface then plenty mixtapes.

I don't know why Aesop is deserving of being judged only on his own work and not every artist.

I honestly can only go back and listen to float and bazooka tooth. I like how when listening to him i feel as if he's letting out ten tons of stored up anxiety and frustration. I guess what im trying to say is his wordplay is more similar to how my thought process, its all scattered and not everything fits together, but it is connected and...

**** it i'll figure out how to summarize it later. Not everything he says seems to have an interpret ion, and he opts for just straight up imagery, which im fine with, they're no rules.

His delivery and wordplay are extremely original, but his actual outlook and viewpoints are sometimes cliche and traditional "backpacker" (not that im dumping him in that), and seem to be aimed at a target audience, primarily teenagers. I am basing most of this off bazooka tooth, since it was what got the most plays, but i have listened to all his albums extensively.

I think what a lot of people, myself included, look for lyrics that reflect stuff in their lives. Aesop rock does this, but you really gotta listen to it over and over before any of it clicks. I think he writes pretty good hooks though, and his production has gotten excellent as well, so i don't know why people still have this barrier.

Also, downloading all balls don't bounce, i dont know if this rapper has enough swag for me to like him tho

Last edited by Sparky; 04-21-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote