Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #654 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matious View Post
I dunno man, I think your unfairly generalizing people. It's pretty evident Aesop Rock puts in work, one of his verses alone has more content even on the surface then plenty mixtapes.
Really? I don't think I was unfairly generalizing at all. You think people really put in as much work as they should to get much out of Aesop Rock? Like, don't you EVER see all the Aesop Rock haters who dismissed him right away because of his unconventional style? "omg, aesop makes no sense," or "omg, he can't flow." Both of those complaints are just straight WRONG. To me, those complaints are perfect evidence of laziness in evaluation (amongst other possibilities, but that seems to make the most sense...).

Quote:
I don't know why Aesop is deserving of being judged only on his own work and not every artist.
What do you mean by this?

Quote:
I honestly can only go back and listen to float and bazooka tooth. I like how when listening to him i feel as if he's letting out ten tons of stored up anxiety and frustration. I guess what im trying to say is his wordplay is more similar to how my thought process, its all scattered and not everything fits together, but it is connected and...

**** it i'll figure out how to summarize it later. Not everything he says seems to have an interpret ion, and he opts for just straight up imagery, which im fine with, they're no rules.

His delivery and wordplay are extremely original, but his actual outlook and viewpoints are sometimes cliche and traditional "backpacker" (not that im dumping him in that), and seem to be aimed at a target audience, primarily teenagers. I am basing most of this off bazooka tooth, since it was what got the most plays, but i have listened to all his albums extensively.
I really don't know how you wouldn't be able to go back to Labor Days or None Shall Pass--Aesop Rock's basic emceeing approach hasn't really changed much, but he like, updates his formulas and keeps them fresh.

There's no way Aesop Rock's work is targeted towards teenagers, lol. They like him, but there's just too much content there to assume this was meant for teenagers to digest.

Quote:
I think what a lot of people, myself included, look for lyrics that reflect stuff in their lives. Aesop rock does this, but you really gotta listen to it over and over before any of it clicks. I think he writes pretty good hooks though, and his production has gotten excellent as well, so i don't know why people still have this barrier.
Word, but I think as an artist, he's doing right to weave his ideas through his lyrics in ways that take some work and real listening to catch--it's certainly more interesting than being all preachy and didactic, and it usually means people who catch onto things like that will probably appreciate his work a lot more. Those moments in art when something just clicks to you, I think that's one of the best parts.

Quote:
Also, downloading all balls don't bounce, i dont know if this rapper has enough swag for me to like him tho
Aceyalone is one of the most stylish rappers ever, again, someone who you're going to have to give time to. You have to hear Innercity Griots by Freestyle Fellowship, and you have to hear A Book of Human Language (solo Aceyalone album), on top of All Balls Don't Bounce. These are seriously three absolutely classic masterpieces that are probably never going to get much attention. Freestyle Fellowship are EASILY one of the most important groups to ever exist in hip hop.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote