Music Banter - View Single Post - Nu Metal
Thread: Nu Metal
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #110 (permalink)
LOLPOCALYPSE
Aryan Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
Anyone care to explain the hate towards slipknot? I will admit they did commercialize a considerable amount on their 3rd and especially their 4th album, but i'd say both of those are still heavy and good records. Considering what else was popular around 99, one could make the argument they were doing some things most other bands weren't.
Most of the hate (at least in the metal crowd) comes from the fact that Slipknot is commercially successful. The leftover hate comes from their unfortunate association with nu metal. While I understand that their first album and most of their second were nu metal, I would have a hard time describing albums three and four as anything but alt metal. Albums 3 and 4 don't really contain enough nu metal characteristics, even after considering how ridiculously broad that "genre" is. I think even the most diehard thrash metal snobs could find something to like in songs like "Gematria" or "Vendetta". You don't have to necessarily sound "commercial" to be successful though. Once people step outside of songs like "Snuff" they aren't really commercialized at all.
LOLPOCALYPSE is offline   Reply With Quote