Music Banter - View Single Post - Nu Metal
Thread: Nu Metal
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #111 (permalink)
LOLPOCALYPSE
Aryan Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Its because they are so popular and wear masks. They`re nowhere near as bad as people think, their sound is certainly monotonous (too drum heavy and little variety) but they`re a hell of a lot better than say Mudvayne, another gimmicky style metal act.

I could probably name dozens of better metal acts than Slipknot, but almost equally, I could name a lot of inferior metal acts as well.
Although I can understand why people would hate the masks, I actually really like them. I don't think they are gimmick as much as the band trying to have fun. Every band has a gimmick or trademark of some kind. I think the masks kind of give Slipknot a kind of unity that puts more focus on the music. Of course you could also find the masks distracting. I also like the drum section a lot, plus it makes for a great live show. As for monotony I just don't see it. They have a lot of raw and heavy songs, plus a few acoustic/power ballads, good vocal range, and some very atmospheric songs (check "Gently"). They also don't try to force the extra drums on every song, and the turntables are used more and more sparingly, but not without noticeable impact.
LOLPOCALYPSE is offline   Reply With Quote