Music Banter - View Single Post - In Flames
Thread: In Flames
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #144 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLPOCALYPSE View Post
I totally disagree with you on this one. Even though Colony is probably my favorite album from them, I love their new stuff too. Even with the knowledge that the new album will be mostly clean vocals (at least according to Anders via somewhere on the web), I will still love it. He may not do the growling vocals as much (pre R2R) but the band is still heavy and very distinctive. I would never consider them metalcore. They blow bands like Killswitch and As I Lay Dying out of the water IMO. Lyrically and musically, I would say they are going anywhere but "downhill". The whole concept album thing needed a rest. There are no repetitive themes of lost love, melancholy, or cheesy self-impowerment lyrics found in most metalcore these days. They are progressive, and while I admit different isn't always better, I think the changes they made have been great. They are still technical, talented, and a great band. Can't wait to seem 'em at Mayhem this year!
Given that this is an In Flames thread I was kind of expecting disagreements.

In Flames are the perfect example, of a group that that were part of a genre such as melodic death metal, which helped to inspire a genre such as metalcore. Metalcore is far more commercially successful than melodic death metal ever was. Its no surprise that to achieve commercial success, In Flames adopted the more commercially viable sound that they had helped to inspire. Whether a group is commercial sounding or not, makes no real difference to me anyway, as some of my fav groups are pretty commercial, In the case of In Flames, I`m just saying they really lost their metal soul and have just contented themselves to mediocrity.

They`re certainly a lot better than any of the metalcore bands out there, but I wouldn`t say any of their recent albums warrant that view.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote