Music Banter - View Single Post - Nu Metal
Thread: Nu Metal
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 03:34 AM   #114 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLPOCALYPSE View Post
Although I can understand why people would hate the masks, I actually really like them. I don't think they are gimmick as much as the band trying to have fun. Every band has a gimmick or trademark of some kind. I think the masks kind of give Slipknot a kind of unity that puts more focus on the music. Of course you could also find the masks distracting. I also like the drum section a lot, plus it makes for a great live show. As for monotony I just don't see it. They have a lot of raw and heavy songs, plus a few acoustic/power ballads, good vocal range, and some very atmospheric songs (check "Gently"). They also don't try to force the extra drums on every song, and the turntables are used more and more sparingly, but not without noticeable impact.
Personally I don`t mind the masks either, its just the drum heavy approach that overrides a lot of their material especially the earlier struff, that detracts from their overall sound. The group became extremely successful, without having a unique sound, like for example Megadeth, Slayer or Pantera or SOAD etc.

As for why this group needs 8 members to produce their sound is something of a mystery (maybe they`re influenced by Rammstein in this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I actually like the masks couldn't care less about their level of popularity, I'm still not a fan though. To me it's simply because everything I've heard by them is pretty dull.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote