Music Banter - View Single Post - Nu Metal
Thread: Nu Metal
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #116 (permalink)
LOLPOCALYPSE
Aryan Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Personally I don`t mind the masks either, its just the drum heavy approach that overrides a lot of their material especially the earlier struff, that detracts from their overall sound. The group became extremely successful, without having a unique sound, like for example Megadeth, Slayer or Pantera or SOAD etc.

As for why this group needs 8 members to produce their sound is something of a mystery (maybe they`re influenced by Rammstein in this)
They had 9 members (until bassist Paul Gray died last year) and I think they were all utilized fairly well. The sampler is probably the least necessary (does keyboard and samples during live shows) but he does his part. The turntables were not brought in until the first album was nearing completion (1999), and I think it adds a really nice touch, while still not being particularly groundbreaking. Listen to their original 1997 demo Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat and it is slow and monotonous (and without Corey Taylor). By the time of the release of the debut album, however, everything was polished. No one part is too prominent, even with the extra drums. The drums aren't even used on every song, and sometimes just small parts. When they do get used, they are used creatively, which I do think sets the band apart from nu metal peers like Disturbed, Deftones, and Korn (I refuse to acknowledge Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit). For instance, the marching snares on the song "The Blister Exists" I find to be really cool, as well as the heavy drumming on "The Heretic Anthem". It comes down to a matter of preference though. I typically focus on vocals more, and those aren't really overpowered by the drums like the guitars possibly are.
LOLPOCALYPSE is offline   Reply With Quote