Music Banter - View Single Post - aliens
Thread: aliens
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #108 (permalink)
Mr November
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
How is that? Do you know what the chances of human beings "happening" were?

Why? What makes Earth so special? The universe is so incomprehensibly vast that it's quite silly and self-important to think that humans are somehow special.
It's quite silly to think that we aren't special. We have existed for a blip in time against huge odds. The human race came very close to being wiped out in its early days, and it was no guarantee that even with the amazing conditions the earth provides us, truly intelligent life would develop. Humanity is a precious, rare, fragile, thing. I don't believe in God, or that we are special, or that there is any way to measure how important we are. So the truth is, I'm just trying to be skeptical of the idea that we can just assume there is life elsewhere in the universe, let alone life capable or inspired to visit us.

When you factor in the ideal location of our planet in relation to other bodies in our solar system, the size of the planet, and the atmosphere - along with the briefness of our own existence and the unlikely hood that we would have come to be in the first place - I think we suffer from looking at the universe from the point of view of lottery winners. It's only because we do exist, that existence seems so common.

I don't think that's an idea that's worthy of ridicule.
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote