Music Banter - View Single Post - Muslim Women
Thread: Muslim Women
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
Liljagare
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Why would you want to stay in a country that clearly doesn't respect your right to religion?

They aren't going to just change their decision. I think it's better to move to a country that will instead of being stubborn and staying somewhere like that but that's just my opinion.
The debate about moving out of one's country because someone did not respect a particular right of yours...ok I'll take the bait. The simple question would be why? Why should a particular group willingly leave due to a smite on their religious freedom even though (as in this case) both UN laws and even France's constitutional rights are against this? Where are these people supposed to go and who is to say it is not going to happen again as what is acceptable in one country might become acceptable in another just to keep "these people" out (with the standard "Well you know we are stepping it up against terrorism" rather than just admitting it for being anti-muslim intolerant behaviour). Because these same laws are being bounced around in Belgium, Holland, and other countries in the EU and I would not be surprised if it happens some where else. And then what else would be banned next (and I cannot think of any other religious groups who have been denyed the freedom to worship their own religion in Europe..oh wait..wasn't there a bit about Jewish rights in the 1940's in Germany )? And it is not as if this particular group just appeared in France overnight..many have been born in France and have ties to the country.

I think that this ruling in the end handles more about culture domination rather than religious intolerance. Yes the burka can be considered a symbol of relgion but (from reading the papers), I think the French government is seeing it more as rather a piece of clothing that segregates you from the rest of the public and therefore making you a non-conformist. You live in France, be more French in other words. I realize that they have done this with relgious symbols in the schools and such (and not just with symbols of islam) but it just feels to me that if you are wearing a scarf on your head rather than tied fashionably around your throat, you will not be accepted there. Which to me, is wrong.

Last edited by Liljagare; 04-25-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Liljagare is offline   Reply With Quote