Music Banter - View Single Post - Muslim Women
Thread: Muslim Women
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #60 (permalink)
Mr November
Music Addict

I'm not deciding what is healthy and what is not. Although burkas can be shown to cause many health risks such as rickets and vitamin D deficiency. And I guess the question is, who is making this decision? Because there are countries where it is illegal not to wear a burka. And the problem is, these women aren't making a choice. They will not and therefore cannot go out in public without a burka? And this is for a religious reason - so it's not at all on the same level as as someone who has been unfortunate enough to believe that they need to be a sexual object and who may reflect this in the way they dress. And you can actually debate whether skimpy clothing is degrading - I find it hard to debate whether burkas are.

Western society does push a lot of negative ideas against women. And this does produce its own kind of sexual segregation. But it's different because burkas come from a world where women's enfranchisement, identity, and humanity are being challenged. Provocative clothing come from a world that I really don't understand to be honest - but I don't think it's intended to remove women's human rights...

I mean are you seeing the distinction that I think I am?

Last edited by Mr November; 04-25-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Because i'm not good at first edits.
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote