Music Banter - View Single Post - Muslim Women
Thread: Muslim Women
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #66 (permalink)
Dotoar
Supernatural anaesthetist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
The issue of burkas is still an issue for me - and I still disagree with the approach a lot of people take to this question - which is of religious rights- but I think it has to be addressed in a different manor. Outlawing burkas doesn't address the fundamental issues that I have a problem with. It's an issue of general personal freedom being represented by law then, not one of the freedom to practice religion. Even though I think people shouldn't wear burka's, and that we shouldn't support their use, I do think it would be wrong to outlaw them.
I personally don't like burkas either, if only for aesthetical reasons (women from the middle east can be downright stunning! Such a waste of beauty to cover it up). But just to once again clarify my general view on the moral issue: It's not about 'religious rights' - religion cannot have rights - it's about individual rights which imply the right to practice religion and wear clothes. That is, as long as it doesn't cause actual harm upon anyone else, and religious oppression certainly is an ever-present actual problem.

Just to clarify: Am I correct in interpreting your stance that it's the symbolism behind the burka that irks you the wrong way?