Music Banter - View Single Post - aliens
Thread: aliens
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #111 (permalink)
RVCA
( ̄ー ̄)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
Being an atheist who likes to argue, I've made that same point more times than I can count RVCA. And I think I touched on that before in the same post you were quoting.

The difference is - I don't mean special as in chosen or pre-ordained or something. I mean special like a four leaf clover or an eclipse - except an unimaginably more rare event than either of those.

The fact that we DO exist can create the illusion that we exist for a reason. Well we would say the same thing if things had happened totally different and in a whole other place. But the point is - not to let the fact that we do exist create the illusion that we aren't special. Not to let it make us believe that it happens all the time. Because I don't believe that's necessarily true.
I understand what you're saying, but even if the chance that life as complex as we are could come to exist elsewhere in the universe is "unimaginably" rare, you have to bear in mind that the universe is "unimaginably" vast. I just refuse to accept that we're alone, and I suppose that makes me as bad as the religious because that's something I hold on faith.
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote