Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #671 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
How the fuck is it even REMOTELY like that?

Saying teenagers don't have as much knowledge in their arsenal to employ in interpreting complex lyrics and that they are in general lazier when it comes to brainy activities like analyzing lyrics IS NOT the same as saying fucking white people can't get anything out of rap. You can't compare the general intellectual abilities of teenagers to the general intellectual abilities of ALL WHITE PEOPLE. You need to work on your goddamn analogies.
It is "fucking REMOTELY like that" because you are judging an entire group of people based on something that is only true for a small portion of them. A generalization is a generaliztaion, no matter how you try to paint it. Just because you may be too ignorant to understand song lyrics does not mean that others are. It apparently makes you feel like an elitist to think that you have some hidden knowledge about song lyrics that everyone else is too stupid too understand. Get over yourself kiddo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Teenagers are young, and a lot of them only really learn what they're taught, because not many are excited to learn more about the world. Only select things that they care about, which are often kind of pointless things.
So your argument is that people only learn things that they are taught? .... How profound. And who are you to say that things other people care about are pointless?

Quote:
My point is that IN GENERAL, a majority of teenagers aren't going to be equipped with a large enough vocabulary / information database to process a lot of Aesop Rock.
Anyone with a middle school education and 12 years of life experience is capable of writing songs like Aesop's. Not to knock the guy, I'm a fan, but you're holding him up on some pedestal like he's Jesus f*cking Christ of the rap world.

Quote:
Sure, there are things they can take away from him, but people get caught up with the hard stuff that they can't understand, and give up that way. Don't even try to say that's not the case; remember the kids in your high school English class and how they felt about Shakespeare?
You're comparing Aesop Rock to William Shakespeare, and you say that I need to work on my analogies?

Quote:
Right. THIS IS A GENERALIZATION. I know that, I'm not stupid. I know there are kids out there who know a lot.
That's completely contradictory. If you know that there are kids who understand, yet you lump them into the generalization, you lose all credibility.

Quote:
Secondly: technically, no, the artist doesn't even really have the right to say someone interpreted something "correctly."
Really? The artists who conceived the work, wrote the lyrics, and made the song has no right to say how the lyrics that THEY wrote are meant to be interpreted? They are the only ones who have a leg to stand on in that department buddy.

Quote:
The artist's job is to put the art out there. Show, don't say. And I never made a point like, "omg all teenagers misinterpret aesop rock! that's why they can't appreciate him!" I was saying that his approach might be a bit complex for your average teenager.
Actuall, that's exactly what you've done thus far, almost exclusively.

Quote:
If you think Aes appeals to the masses, gtfo. He just doesn't, unfortunately.
His mainstream appeal is completely irrelevant here. He appeals more to fanboys who carry a backpack full of spray paint cans, wear beat up DC shoes, and think it's cool to listen conscience rap because it makes them "different" and "unique," like they "get" some concept that is hidden to the rest of the world.

Quote:
That dude said Aesop Rock was targeted towards teenagers. I know teens can like him, take messages away from him, etc.
If you know this, then why sit here and use the ignorance of that fact as an argument for your elitism?
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote