Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite anti-love song?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Great anti-love songs, everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I was thinking of doing a thread just like this. Some of my favorite love songs are not about being in love, but about love gone wrong or like you say "anti-love" and I such a hard time thinking of a positive love song for "favourite love song" thread.

During the 60's I can't think of a group who wrote better negative love songs than the Rolling Stones, while The Beatles songs were about holding hands and the feeling of walking on cloud 9, the Stones had a darker side, they were more cynical and realistic. "Backstreet Girl" is one of my favorite if not my favorite Rolling Stones song, I think the music is amazing, it has such a folksy (European) sound, and the lyrics are a complete downer. I would love to go into detail what I think the song is about, (like does he love her or is he being mean to her) but I don't know if I should go into detail, because really it could mean something different to someone else. When people listen to a song, everyone has their own interpretation of the song.

I love the song "Backstreet Girl," too. I can't believe I forgot about it while making the "anti-love" thread, since I like the song so much. A real "downer," like you say, and I have you to thank for learning about it, Neapolitan. I'm glad you're enjoying the anti-love song thread.

I was thinking today of an anti-love song I used to listen to frequently in college, but there is no YouTube video for it, unfortunately:

Sheila E. - "Next time wipe the lipstick off your collar."

It's a sad, pathetic song in which the woman is in a disturbingly obsequious, needy relationship with her partner who is having sex with someone else. For some sad reason...low self-esteem?...this woman is accepting his philandering and the scraps he throws her. Maybe this song would be like one that would be sung by the wife of the male character singing in "Backstreet Girl." I wish I could find it on YouTube! Here are the depressing lyrics:

Quote:
Sheila E. - "Next Time Wipe The Lipstick Off Your Collar"

You don't have to send me flowers like you used to do.
You don't have to buy me candy, I'll still be your fool.
All I ask is for a little decency and class.
Next time wipe the lipstick off your collar.

You don't have to take me dancing, our backyard will do.
We don't have to eat too fancy, hamburgers are cool.
I don't care if you stay out until the break of dawn.

Can't you understand, I want a true love man?
Can't you comprehend, I want a lover, not a friend?

I don't care for sugar-coated flattery, French kiss will suffice.
Blame our sex on your run-down battery, holding you is nice.
I know when you're lying, baby, there's no need to scream.
There's no need to shout.

If you weren't so tired, baby, we'd be on the floor.
We'd be making love right now, ooh.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/next-time...-sheila-e.html
Gosh, this song depresses me.

But after depressing me, a great anti-love song then, conversely, lifts my spirits, because I think to myself, "Phew! At least my life isn't THAT bad. I may have my problems, but they could be worse!"
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 04-27-2011 at 04:21 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote