Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite love song?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #495 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
Yes, music seems to be inconsistent with lyrics. I think there's a small correlation, though. Note how that "I love you!" (¡Te quiero!) at the end of four of the stanzas sounds. It's almost like a desperate exclamation. It sounds as if all the retained feelings suddenly came out. As lyrics say: "It is in my throat. / It's cutting me and it bleeds. / It suffocates me, the 'I love you' that I'll never be able to say". I see that sung "I love you!" as a shout from the mind of the shy boy who doesn't dare to declare his love for the girl.

That's a moving story, Erica. Really emotive. By the way, song has made me reflect on several metaphors and meanings. This is a curious coincidence, because today I've translated a song that, in a way, could be seen as "the other side of the coin". Including symbolic/poetic features. That is: Sunshine vs grey skies; lover's presence vs lover's absence; life vs death; hope vs sorrow; etc. But despite that, I'm not sure if we could describe it as an "anti-love song". I mean, I think there is a difference between saying "love hurts" and saying "the absence of the beloved hurts". Anyway, in my opinion it's a great song. It is made by Mürfila, one of my favorite artists (I love her; I honestly think this girl has an awesome talent). Azul y gris ("Blue and Gray", 2010):

I agree about the "I love you" stuck in the shy boy's throat. I remember having that feeling of being stuck when I was a middle schooler and too shy to dance at school parties. Shyness is a crippling feeling.

I thought you'd like the cat story, Zaqarbal.

I enjoy reading your thoughtful translations and I like the Mürfila song, too. The video should be used as a Public Service Announcement to teach the principle that "Crime Doesn't Pay!" The couple in the video made a very nice couple...up until they started getting their thrills and turn-ons from stealing other people's things as if that somehow made them more free.

I've been thinking of a song about another doomed love, unrequited love. The song is Cyndi Lauper's "When you were mine," in which a girl/woman is hopelessly in love with a former boyfriend who is gay. So the girl is doomed to yearn and suffer due to unrequited love. I really like the song and have ever since I first heard it. The song feels plaintive and tragic and is probably my favorite Cyndi Lauper song:

Cyndi Lauper - "When you were mine" (with a weird video that has nothing to do with the song)

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote