Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #679 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
But it really wasn't. LOL. That's what you're fucking missing. There's a difference between making a general statement and comparing two things THAT ARE NOT COMPARABLE. Teens and "white people" are not a comparable group at all, therefore, your analogy does not work. Get your shit together, son.
It makes absolutely no difference what subjects or groups analogies are based upon if the end result is exactly the same. You're completely failing to realize that making generalities is wrong and ignorant, especially when dealing with music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Yes, it is a fact.
You are apparently unaware of the definition of, and differences between an opinion and a fact. I really don't know how to put all of this into terms that would be easier for you to understand. If you believe that all of your generalized opinions are facts then this conversation really has no place else to go, as I'm obviously arguing with a self-absorbed moron.

Quote:
Like, if you think it's not, if you think Aesop Rock would appeal to a majority of teens, you're just an idiot, dude.
Again, neither you nor I said that he WOULD appeal to most teens. But appeal is completely relative to the listener, and each person's musical tastes are unique, and should not be lumped into an ignorant generalization made by some idiot on an internet forum.

Quote:
There's no way around this. A majority of PEOPLE wouldn't even like Aesop Rock.
Again, neither you nor I said that he would. But how did you come to this conclusion? What is it based upon? NOTHING. It is your opinion, which has been baseless thus far.

Quote:
If you want to prove this, conduct a little experiment yourself. Introduce Aesop Rock to 100 randomly selected people. I bet you the people who like it and become fans or even casual listeners is in the minority. I'll bet you a thousand fucking dollars.
So I'm assuming that you have done so yourself? No, didn't think so. You fail to realize that the person making the generalized claims is the one who has the burden of proof to back them up, not the other way around.

Quote:
people who "care" about finding and exploring music are in the minority.
Jesus Christ, what is with you and the "majority" and "minority" generalizations? People are going to listen to whatever appeals to them, regardless of how they became aware of the artists.

Quote:
You can't tell me the radio / TV / mainstream media is not a primary source of music / entertainment for a majority of people.
When did I say this? Oh, that's right, NEVER. I don't why you think that making up lame strawman arguments will further your point (or lack there of to be more precise).

Quote:
My point with this being that when the majority of people out there listen to pop, their taste is not likely to fall in line with Aesop Rock.
Seriously, let's see you make one even remotely valid or pertinent statement without resorting to relegating people into some "majority" or "minority" that you made up in your head.

Quote:
THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP.
There you go, discuss things like a disgruntled 12 year old with Tourette Syndrome. Well played. Maybe you can call me a "poop head" and throw rocks at me next.

Quote:
That's my goddamn point, and you're trying to "disprove" what I'm saying, but you're not even attacking my point.
There's no need to disprove something that you haven't proved in the first place. You have no point to attack. What you may think is your "point" is just a generalized opinion. I'm trying to get you to judge each persons' tastes and each artist's work on an individual and unique basis. What rings true for one person does not automatically ring true for another simply because you THINK that it does. That is not the way the world works, not has it ever , nor will it ever. Get used to it.

Quote:
You're just calling me ignorant for making a general statement, like it's against the ****ing law of logic to generalize on ANYTHING, like it's IMPOSSIBLE for a general statement to hold any sort of truth.
See above.

Quote:
Right. I've said it before already, and my first argument was on that basis. Sorry if you're too goddamn stupid and missed it.
Actually, that was the first time that you differentiated between "not likely" and "all teenegers are too f*cking stupid to understand what I like because MY taste is sooooooo beyond their intelectual capabilities."

Quote:
See, when did I ever say "big words = INTELLIGENCE"? Stop putting words in my mouth by making hasty assumptions.
It's called an inference, and it's based on YOUR statements. Excuse the rest of us lowly peasants for assuming that you mean what you say.

Quote:
I said that a lot of words he will use are above the level of an average 15 year old. Argue with that statement.
I completely disagree. Again, not all 15 year olds are the same. I'm quite sure that most 15 year olds on here have an extended vocabulary and could easily comprehend Aesop Rock's lyrics. It can only be inferred that these opinions of yours are based upon your own experiences of being unable to comprehend things at an average 15 year old's intellectual level. My apologies if you're not on par with the rest of us.

Quote:
Whether or not he uses a thesaurus or dictionary is irrelevant (you realize a LOT of rappers use dictionaries/thesauruses as tools to build their vocabulary? And what the hell, if someone TRIES to build their vocabulary, TRIES TO EXPAND THEIR KNOWLEDGE, that somehow belittles their credibility? They're actively seeking new ways to express themselves... Expanding the brain is good.)
That is all well and good, but you are idolizing someone for their ability to reference a dictionary and a thesaurus. You can bookmark Wikipedia and reference it at every turn, but that doesn't make you an expert on every subject.

Quote:
And lol @ trying to like, rile up fear in me. What the fuck? LOL.
I honestly couldn't care less if you're afraid or riled up, but I do believe in karma. And per karma, you must have lived a pretty sh*tty, no good, f*cked up existance thus far in order for you to have evolved into the elitist, attention whore douche that you come across as in every post.

Quote:
I'm demeaning people who aren't trying to learn, and only learn what's put in their heads, rather than trying to fill their heads.
But why demean anyone for no reason? Are you that starved for attention that you feel the need to make up hypothetical groups in your head and then meaninglessly demean those groups in order to appease your own low sense of self?

Quote:
Well, there's definitely a difference between the use of words for making pictures and the use of visual art to make pictures. There's a difference between the interpretation of ideas through words and the interpretation of something that you can physically see. You can show me the race car--ideas are a lot more complex than that, and they're infinitely varied by subjectivity.
The complexity of the work is not what is in question, rather the MEANING and MESSAGE of the work. Regardless of whether it is a visual or textual representation, it CAN have a finite and exact meaning behind it, which was determined by the artist. Of course viewers and listeners have the right to interpret it however they choose, but that does not necessarily make their interpretation correct (when it does not correspond with that of the artist).

Quote:
(I'd say visual art's not as open-ended as things like creative writing.)
Tell that to Van Gogh, Picasso, Dali, Da Vinci (need I continue?).

Quote:
Are you kidding me? That was the entire joke. You've been calling me an elitist for whatever reason, and I saw an opportunity to correct you, so I did it with an elitist demeanor to fulfill your predisposition towards me. I didn't realize it would go so far over your head, (infidel).
It obviously didn't go over my head, as I clearly referenced it and evoked a mundane response from you. But seeing as how you have disregarded your own ignorance in basically every aspect of the discussion thus far, I felt the need to bring it to your attention.

Quote:
Hey, infidel, it's called conscious rap. And Aesop Rock wouldn't just fall under that category, lol.
Quote:
Yeah, Aesop Rock is kinda conscious rap
Quote:
Aesop Rock has a lot of conscious rap undertones
So much for continuity and credibility in your arguments.

So, would you like to go another 10 pages of clammering to back up your baseless opinions and attempting to pass them off as facts, while simultaneoiusly backtracking and trying to remove your foot from your mouth, or can you leave it be and save me some time and yourself some dignity?
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote