Music Banter - View Single Post - Defining and Organizing What We Call Music
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nosferatu Man
Music Addict

Fantastic idea for a thread Mr Coleman. It is a subject that interests me greatly.

For me music is more than those sounds you described it is made by someone with an artistic vision who is using sound to express their feelings. It is a simple and beautiful expression of emotion when it is created properly. Look to Wish You Were here every moment of that song carries meaning and is significant. So for me Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber do not create music. I think all that Simon cowell inspired, tee total pseudo musicians a la Jessie J teenage age pop bollocks is just noise. That might even be insulting to noise.

We classify and compartmentalize our music into genres so we can express the types of music we like. It is actually hard to explain exactly what type of music you like without naming genres. Without naming bands or genres it is almost impossible to describe what you like to another musically informed person and have them play something that matches your description.

Why do I like music?

I like music because I can get to know it, it has layers, hidden meanings, emotions all these things. I can go on journey through it.

Bob Dylan's I want you, 'I wait for them to interrupt, me drinking from my broken cup'. He is talking of the saviours who are waiting for him. Why does he wait for them? He is drinking from a broken cup, he must want salvation.

I could go on for ages and ages, it's just I am almost late for work!!!
Nosferatu Man is offline   Reply With Quote