Music Banter - View Single Post - Non-UK European Prog
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Just listened to Lard Free on an obscure mention somehow randomly sparked in my brain from an obscure thread months ago by either Tore, or Dankstra, or somebody, I even forget.
Yeah I mentioned them in the "Last album you..." thread or "Albums you're digging", can't remember. I also sent it to Rezz, I think, in the trading thread some time ago. He seems to like it. I've only listened to their s/t album and it's a great mix of French avan-prog and kraut-rock. I have to check more from them. Apparently their three albums are quite different from each other.

Ever since I've heard Art Zoyd, I've been on a hunt for more European avant-prog, especially French. I have to finally listen to Univers Zero, which you recommended. I don't know what I'm waiting for as I really loved that one track you posted in another thread. So, it's great you opened this thread. I will certainly use it for recommendations and to post my own findings.

Speaking of which, here's another French band I listened to these past few months, but only their first album. I like to give it time before I move on to other albums. I think I also mentioned it somewhere, but here it is again:
Etron Fou Leloublan - Batelages (1977)
Skaligojurah, I think you're gonna love this one if you haven't heard it already, so here's a taste of opening track:
L'amulette et le petit rabbin

Also, there's this Swiss band Débile Menthol from the late 70s and 80s, connected to RIO movement. I listened to Émile au jardin patrologique (1981/2). Here's the song from it, Spacio-Cib

Another French band, ZNR, a duo, I think, with Hector Zazou and the other one (can't remember his name). Avant-prog, chamber music and cheesy synths, how can one not want to hear it. So, I listened to Barricade 3 (1976), very strange album, but interesting indeed. Two songs as an illustration:
Seynète
Armistice couronne de feuillages

Ame Son, French psychedelic, progressive band from late 60s, early 70s, with a jazz influence, similar to Gong in a way. I think they had only one proper album, which is the one I listened, Catalyse (1970)
Seventh Time Key
ps: this band was on the famous Nurse With Wound list...

So that's it for now. I don't want to post kraut bands, cause there's already a big thread in the avant-garde forum and almost every band is mentioned there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Note: I consider a lot of black metal acts,, and other things sort of in the same vein when exploring the concept. I think anything outside the box suggesting is good. I know a few I listed may only be loosely prog, or be closer to avant-garde(which in a lot of the ways is the same thing), but I feel all sort of integrate the proper middle-European vibe in which integrates elements of the traditional folk musics, and avant-garde to make for a distinctly European sound.
I know a lot of European bands that are experimental and even jazzy, but more in the post-punk, industrial, or electro vein, but that doesn't belong in this thread. I can't connect them with prog by any stretch of imagination.