Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #2176 (permalink)
NGPercussion
MB Percussionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah
Pft... Go listen to Madame Butterfly if you want to hear singing. Opera blows pop music away in the sense that it forces the singers to exude massive amounts of power, discipline themselves in very strict prewritten melodies written via composer/piano. All a pop singer needs is to be loud, and clear, and they can(even if in most case they opt pitch correction. One of the reasons why pitch correction always confused me.) pretty much write the song on the keys they just happen to hit.

As for dancing, I'm not sure the schematics, but the rise in the density of dancing by an artist equates to the rise of the amount of lip syncing. As for catchy grooves... uh... basically it's mostly just simple drum machine programs with basic synth ambience layered over it, then voice layered over that. I don't really notice these 'grooves' you speak of in songs like 'Born this Way'.

I don't mean to be close minded, but pop itself is pretty much intentionally easy so it can be factory produced. Is there good pop? Yes. In the modern mainstream? very very little. Minimalist soft rock music has potential, strangely enough though, the best stuff is rarely truly applied to it's mainstream intention making it truly popular.

IE. Being the best thing in new pop is like winning the special Olympics. Seriously, her competition went from the Jonas Brothers to Justin Bieber.
In nowhere did I say that pop music has the BEST singers, nor the best dances, nor the best grooves. I'm more specifically talking about MJ era stuff. While not a pop expert either, I've heard some pretty catchy stuff I like in the pop genre.

I know opera takes a lot more talent to sing than Lady Gaga's music, but nowhere once did I mention she could sing better than opera singers. I said she could sing, and she can.
NGPercussion is offline   Reply With Quote